Monday, July 31, 2006

Child Rape = Oscar Bid Opportunity? Huh?

I have always been hard-pressed to like Dakota Fanning. I'm not sure if it's the screaming child, or the cutsy-blue-eyed child in perioll syndrome there, but I just have never really had time for her in general. I tolerated her in WAR OF THE WORLDS with Tom Cruise, and MAN ON FIRE often made me want to have more of the characters on screen set ablaze, but in general, feh - it's another child actor.

I just read something online that really makes one think about the accomplishment we want to prescribe to our children and I was wondering what YOU think. A link from the ever-lovin' IMDB (Internet Movie Data Base) provided this:

"Fanning Hoping 'Hounddog 'Will Win Her an Oscar
Child actress Dakota Fanning is set to shock fans in new movie Hounddog, because she has shot child rape scenes and appears semi-naked. The controversial film written and directed by Deborah Kampmeier is a dark and violent story set in American's rural south - and the 12-year-old's mother and agent are convinced her gritty performance is Oscar-worthy. Agent Joy Osbrink tells the New York Daily News, "It's not just the rape scene - the whole story is challenging Dakota as an actress. And I've never been so proud of her in my life. I've seen the dailies, and in every scene she gets better and better." "

Now I understand the desire for an Oscar. I even understand the fact that Dakota is probably been "in the business" long enough now, in enough movies, television appearances, etc, that she can undergo this experience and come up pretty rosey in general. I just have to wonder though - does a child actor NEED to get an Oscar for playing a "gritty semi-naked child rape" scene? I also understand that they even SAY "it's not just the rape scene" however it's in the first sentence of the Oscar-bid based sentence of this publicity item that millions will surely see.

What do YOU think? Am I just "fanning the flames of Dakota hatred" or do I have a point?

Chime in here and let me know if you'd like to see her score Oscar gold now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home