Monday, June 09, 2008

Making the Computer Animated Movie Mark - Your Thoughts?

While surfing during lunch today, I found an interesting listing that I thought I would share with you all and comment on. The topic: The Best Computer Animated Films of All Time. First, a preface.

There are many things that make my mind fly into an alternate plane of existence. Sometimes it's a movie, sometimes it's a thought that is triggered from a movie, or even a special feature from a DVD or (now) HD-DVD that I see. Animated films have always carried that for me, probably because of my interest and talent in cartooning and originally having that special something that is the desire to animate movies. The last time I remember having "that feeling" during an (traditionally) animated film was for "TARZAN" the outstanding offering featuring a driving make-it-go soundtrack that won an Oscar back in the 90s. The visuals of that film, in particular the creation of the characters and animal studies that were done to develop the characters are the stuff of "become-a-cartoonist" legend.

That being said, I am often completely underwhelmed by most of today's computer animated movies, with a few exceptions that truly ARE classic marks of computer animated screenplay genius. This list that was provided allows me to not only chime in on the films that I've seen (and also the ones I haven't yet seen) but also lets YOU see what is being called today's "best animated films." I look forward to your thoughts both to the listing, as well as the commentary.

Note: I've no idea if this listing is "in order" (I hope not), so put that in your bonnet when commenting.

1.) Kung Fu Panda: I haven't seen this yet, but my initial impression is that they've taken a reasonably well-known Jack Black and made him a giant Panda Bear. Knowing nothing of the plot, can we guess that he learns the art of Kung Fu ala Karate Kid and faces diversity that he has to overcome from a mentor? Feh, I'll watch to have knowledge.

2.) Horton Hears a Who: I haven't seen this film either, mostly because of its short theater run, and the content. This book was one of the most underwhelming of the Dr. Seuss series for me and while I understand the interest in wanting to make a complete animated feature film out of it (including the inclusion of Jim Carey again), proof in the proverbial Dr. Seuss Pudding is "Cat in the Hat", arguably a terrible and bad choice at making a movie. The jury is out and will need to be for a while. In addition to Jim Carey being an excellent Grinch, he was JUST an excellent Grinch and not a terribly bothersome Jim Carey in a green suit. He is like so many things that are like Dark Chocolate: A little goes a terribly long way.

3.) Ratatouille: This movie is one that I've seen several times and I'll always find something new and interesting in it. Whether it's the overall theme that "anyone can and should showcase their love of cooking" or the showcase of being controlled by strings feel that I know I often feel at one time or another, this movie has all kinds of reasons to watch, though if you tell someone "have you seen that rat cooking movie?" - suddenly the interest level dials down to zero. The art and detail of this film are something you truly should see, and the ending is something you'd never really expect. It's much less "with a bow" than other films of this nature and I think tosses a smack of realism to the whole genre.

4.) Shark's Tale: I thought this too was an excellent entry, that took the robust talent pool of Will Smith and a hoard of others and showed you a glimpse of something you'd never see, that used their environment as a completely alien but somehow familiar showcase of life, community and relationships. It didn't succeed as well as they probably wanted, but it's a solid entry.

5.) Happy Feet: I haven't seen it - whether it be because of of the overwhelming musk of "being green" or because it's a bit "too hip" for me, this entry hasn't given me any of the previous interest in seeing it. It has a ton of stars that I like but I will eventually, one day see it - perhaps after your commentary compels me to do so.

6.) Over the Hedge: I own this, I've had it since the day it hit DVD, yet - I've never seen it. It's got Willis and a cavalcade of other stars, it's based on a cartoon that I've never seen or read, and like Happy Feet, I am waiting to be compelled to see it. Anyone wanna' chime in?

7.) Toy Story: If this listing is based on a "standings" type theme, I am amazed that this franchise is so far in the back - halfway through this listing as a matter of fact. These movies bring to the forefront something that we're trying to achieve with out Podcast Network, in that we're hoping that the zeal people experience while revisiting old, familiar entertainment friends keeps them coming back and - guess what? It works just like it does for the Toy Story franchise. These movies help you remember what it was like to be a kid - sure - that's the appeal for "kids" to watch these films. But there's also an overtone in all of these entries that helps you understand that same feeling now that you're an adult. That's rare, and it's something that so MANY of these computer animated movies have lost point on.

8.) The Incredibles: Arguably one of my favorite movies - again, because not only does it give you a complete slant on what is the "life of a comic book super hero" it showcases their family, their jackass job that they're forced into when "the man clamps down" and what superheroes might do if they were just people "at work like you are. It's a wonderful film, a great soundtrack, and something that I think would endure if it were left to one film.

9.) Shrek: I reallllly like the original Shrek. I kind of like the second Shrek. The Third Shrek? Proof positive that many in Hollywood love to breast feed from the industry for the rest of their natural careers and lives. The original gave you the same great pop-culture references and kid-adult feelings while the latter two - meh. You can only go to the well so many times and well - it's time for the 167th time apparently.

10.) Finding Nemo: This is a movie I would put into the same level/category as Ratatouille. It's a great and detailed look at the realm around you, underwater. Completely inventive, the characters all feel very real, and the overall topic of a father and son finding each other - well, it's very well done in here and I'm not even an Albert Brooks fan. The subject matter "matters" in this film and the comedy isn't so completely on the nose as so many of these have become.

11.) Monsters Inc.: This is another feast for those of you, regardless of age, who have eve wondered about "the monsters" that live under your bed, that lurk behind that just slightly open closet, or who might live behind an ominous tree just outside your open bedroom window in the summer. The camp between the voices of Mike (Billy Crystal) and Sully (John Goodman), along with a giant cast of talented people who bring their craft to this film is just something to revel in. Again, this is one I can watch/listen to over and over again and collect something new from at every viewing. The likening of "being in the business to provide monsters/fear as a business - sheer genius.

12.) Ice Age: Ice Age is another of those movies that I think should be higher up in the list. This movie collects fans from just about every single "age", and has a great cast and a very different and eye-catching process of animation. The lava/ice slide scenes are the stuff of legend. The overall story arc is very well done, giving you a basic adventure story, but lifting it higher with some comedy, some warm moments and a laugh regularly. On the other hand, the suckling of the sequel teat is MIND-NUMBING. The second movie is a terrible and dark shadowy reflection of the original film that could have been a direct-to-DVD mess that I can't recommend to anyone, including those that have seen the first.

13.) Madagascar: The proposed redeeming social value for this movie was supposed to be Keifer Sutherland - ALAS - he was lion in ANOTHER computer animated movie, about wild animals on a journey, "The Wild" that was out at virtually the same time Madagascar was out. It might stem from my general dislike for Ben Stiller, but there was a true shadow of redeeming value when I heard Chris Rock was in it. Sadly, I've not investigated this film but I look forward to hearing from YOU why I need to rethink and view it.

So what are your thoughts on the listing provided? I have to tell you that I'd have a completely different listing/ranking for these movies and I think you'd agree that there are many that are misplaced in the list. Provide your thoughts here and let's talk more about the general genre that is today's growing modern-day Computer Animated Movie Collection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home